Thread: Brad Ross
View Single Post
Old
07-13-2011, 08:49 AM
leafhky88

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick3652 View Post
the first two rounds of the draft should be used to select a player who could play on the top two lines or top 4 defensemen. Not some one that may play on third or fourth lines. Those players should be pickup after the second round.
Brian Burke seems to be not afraid to draft crasher/banger/grinder types who project to play on the bottom two lines in the earlier rounds. Since his arrival, Burke has drafted a total of 4 forwards in the first two rounds.

2008 - Nazem Kadri projects to play on the first/second line.

2008 - Kenny Ryan at the time was chosen to play a 3rd line role due to his size, strength on the boards, strong defensive play and good offensive abilities portrayed with the USDP. However, since coming to the OHL, his offensive abilities have not really translated, finishing 10th and 5th on the Spitfires in scoring as an 18 and 19 year old. At this point, I think it will be an uphill battle for the winger to make the NHL as more than a 4th line player who can play penalty killing shifts.

2010 - Brad Ross was projected to be a third line player who combined grit with some offensive ability. I still see him in this light, playing a similar role to a Steve Ott or Colby Armstrong. I was a large fan of this selection.

2011 - Tyler Biggs is still unknown to be. He was projected to have complimentary top six upside, with 3rd line downside. If he is the latter, 3 of 4 picks will be somewhat bottom six oriented.

Since this thread is about Ross, I am still a fan of the selection. I am interested to see his production next year, with Johansen and Niederreiter possibly both gone. Hopefully Ross along with Bartschi and Rattie take up the offensive side, and I am also hoping Ross can begin to produce as well in the playoffs as he did in the regular season. His linemates in the playoffs this year were scoring at about 1.3 points per game while Ross was under half a point per game.

Since this thread is from quite a while back, I suppose the question would be has anything really changed of his status since before his draft? I would say likely not and he still projects the same way as before his draft year.

leafhky88 is offline   Reply With Quote