View Single Post
Old
07-13-2011, 02:15 PM
phillyfanatic

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Largely because they've sunk premium picks at forward, not because they are necessarily better at drafting and developing forwards. Try this, takeaway the Flyers 1st rounders, and how do the teams compare?
The Flyer scouts do a very good job of getting top talent in the first round (they may be the best at drafting stars at or near 20). The Red Wings hardly ever trade draft picks and they are the kings of Europe, especially Sweden. They are WITHOUT QUESTION the best European scouting department in the NHL.

If Snider/Homer stick to their own philosophy and keep draft picks, I have faith that each year the Flyers will draft a very good player in the first round and maybe the second round and after that......it is a crapshoot for all teams not named the RedWings.

The Flyers prefer a North American style of game to sell to their fans. The Red WIngs draft skill and promote skill. If we used that philosophy and invested in the scouting, we would get "lucky" each year like the Red Wings. Detroit is the model, there is no question. I would LOVE to see the Flyers use Detroit as their model. Yzerman would like to use the model, but he doesn't have the money to invest in the European scouts. We do. Sadly, I think we are more likely to draft a 6-5 fighter out of Saskatoon in the fourth round versus a potential top end forward from Sweden.

phillyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote