Thread: Line Combos: What would your final moves be?
View Single Post
Old
07-14-2011, 09:39 AM
swimmer77
Post Oates

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pernell Karl View Post
Wisniewski has been on 4 teams in the last 2 and a half years, he obviously wanted a long-term deal to get some stability for once and it made no sense for us to sign him long-term when we have guys like Markov and Subban on the PP and guys like Weber and Diaz who could be seeing regular PP time as early as this year. Its not like he was going to sign here for $4 million or something.

Hamrlik was offered a deal but he rejected because he wanted two years how is that giving little effort to sign him?
It was offered in the closing days leading up to the start of free agency but it doesn't matter anyway. My main point is that Gauthier left two top four d-men walk while making a bottom pairing d-man a priority. So now if one of Markov or Subban get injured who is going to compensate for that offensive production? Hal Gill? Can Yannick Weber play enough minutes against top competition and still compensate offensively? Weber's best games as a d-man came with Hamrlik by his side.

I understand Wiz may have cost too much but the fact that Gauthier never even negotiated with the guy makes me wonder. It's obvious Columbus wanted to fill a void and they paid the price. Does that necessarily mean Montreal would have paid the same? And then Gauthier offers a one year deal to Hamrlik at the last moment. I do call that little effort in making a 3rd top four d-man a priority to support Markov and Subban.

So as it stands Gauthier will have to settle for another depth d-man. So my question remains - if one of Markov or Subban go down who is going to pick up the offense? If one of those two are injured then Gill becomes a bigger albatross than he already is at even strength.

swimmer77 is offline   Reply With Quote