View Single Post
Old
07-14-2011, 11:59 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill McNeal View Post
Not that it matters because it's just a number, but he could have chosen any of the following 'traditional' numbers:

8, 15, 17, 20, 22, 24, 25, 27, 28, 30, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40. Him choosing 72 was due to an emotional attachment to the number from his childhood. And his other choices were taken by his teammates rather than retired.

You'd have to wait probably 3 more centuries from now before the team is even close to running out of numbers to give their players.
There are options......but not tons of them. And for me, you are pushing the tradition by choosing everything higher than 30 outside of a goalie. I believe that the 30's and up for a non-goalie were created because of the retired jerseys. Not saying it was never wore before or that teams that didn't retire jerseys don't have players that wears high numbers but once the trend was there, they were all into it. But I understand his reasoning. And I understand he had enough numbers...but he could have had some more. Understand your point though. Just don't agree to retire so many numbers.

I know it's just a number. For once, there's a light discussion...we'll do it...

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote