Old
07-14-2011, 12:13 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by azrok22 View Post
Personally, if you can get anything of value for Wolski, I move him and re-sign Prospal. Not only does Wolski not seem to fit on our roster, but with a $4m qualifier, even a halfway-decent season out of him will probably see him reach UFA, because we won't be qualifying him.

Move him for something, and bring back Prospal. Then, alternate Prospal and Fedotenko on the Richards - Gaborik line as Torts sees fit to keep Prospal fresh for the playoffs.

Prospal/Fedotenko - Richards - Gaborik
Dubinsky - Anisimov - Callahan
Fedotenko/Prospal - Stepan - Zuccarello
Rupp - Boyle - Prust
Avery/Christensen

[EDIT: Assuming no rookies make it -- if any show they are readying you can adjust accordingly]

Prospal's wheels may be falling off, but he showed that he is still capable of putting up very good numbers and showing up when it counts.

You then have significant cap space to pursue a LW during the season or via UFA next year.
See, I don't think it needs to be an either/or with Prospal and Wolski. Prospal costs nothing more than a minimal cap hit, with a potentially excellent reward. Wolski's cap hit is obviusly bigger, but he, too has the potential for a good reward if he has a good season. Neither contracts are prohibitive in terms of allowing us to accomplish anything--and if the cost for either or both DOES stand in the way of a move being made, they'll both be easy to make disappear.

I'd prefer to sign Prospal today, and have him in our back pocket. Let he and Wolski battle it out when the season starts. If Wolski loses out, you either scratch him or waive him. If there's a good move to be made before the summer ends, you ship Wolski out. We can fit both under the cap, no problem. Stockpile potential NHL assets, and then move them around when the picture becomes more clear.

I don't see us getting more than a C-level prospect for Wolski at this point. He'll probably become more valuable during camp or the early part of the season, as teams lose players to injury. I don't see the need to move him now.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote