View Single Post
07-14-2011, 03:52 PM
Nothing As It Seems
I only own my mind..
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
Another big one - lateral movement is your friend! Too many people try to beat defenders by skating right at them with no lateral movement, and then trying to toe drag or put the puck between the defenders feet when he's perfectly balanced and in position, needless to say this rarely works unless you have truly magic hands. Start moving side to side early, before you get to the defender, instead of coming straight at him come forward with big strong crossovers, changing directions once or twice before you reach him. You can often get your defender somewhat off balance or out of position just with a bit of lateral movement as you're rushing up the ice, it'll make him much easier to beat.

Same goes for goalies if you're coming in with space/time, by getting yourself moving side to side a bit you can get the goalie off balance/out of position.

Obviously this doesn't apply (with dmen or goalies) when someone is right on your tail hounding you, but if you've got some time and space, look to move side to side a bit with the puck.
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post
Another thing to remember is that you can also change speed. Throwing on the brakes is a great way to catch the defender going too far back, opening up lanes for you. Stop and shoot, or throw on the brakes before moving laterally for a lane- it can really open up some space, and it's rare to have a player riding close enough right behind you that you're not going to have any time to do something once you stop or slow down.
I wouldn't exactly call these "advanced" tips, but they're definitely for the player who can skate well and handle the puck a little and they're both really great pieces of advice. Players who are at the level to use these tips should make immediate note of them if they aren't already employing these ideas.

Nothing As It Seems is offline   Reply With Quote