View Single Post
Old
07-14-2011, 05:16 PM
headsigh
leave at once!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emma Royd View Post
It's not the market, it's the owner that's driving the team into the ground. Let Wang move the team to KC and it will be the exact same situation as Atlanta--a city showing twice that they're not a hockey market.
What measure is a hockey market then? Because that "twice-failed" location, you have to realize, had won a total of 2 playoff games from both of those franchises combined. I can't speak for the Flames as they were before my time, but the Thrashers only dipped below 15,000 average attendance three times in their existence, the last previous 3 years (read: previous 3 lottery pick seasons).

I can name the amount of teams that would do well under the Thrashers circumstances (Heatley/Snyder, owners publicly telling season holders to "deal with it" in 2008, not to mention having no interest in actually owning the team, Don Waddell's tenure as GM). NYR's one, Minnesota's the other US team, and some of the Canadian franchises might put up with it.

The city didn't show twice that they weren't a "hockey market". A quick google search reveals that the Gwinnett Gladiators (a team that actual wins) is near the top of the ECHL attendance rankings, and will probably get bigger still with the Thrashers moving. Alabama-Huntsville is a two-time division 2 NCAA champion, and just appeared in the 2010 NCAA Frozen Four tournament. You can read about Georgia's small-school hockey prestige here. Georgia-native Vinny Saponari just won the Clark Cup in the USHL, and Jan Kaminsky is a 2012 draft-eligible forward playing for the Belleville Bulls of the OHL.

If anything the owners showed they just weren't capable of managing an NHL club correctly. It's something that happened to Chicago (Dollar Bill Wirtz), Toronto (Harold Ballard), and now the Isles.

Please, go on though, tell me how Atlanta failed twice as a hockey market simply when I live here and it's still alive and possibly stronger than ever.