View Single Post
Old
07-15-2011, 12:03 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Your comments bring to mind another situation with the Kings I wonder about. Since the lockout at least, the Kings are used as a model of a build through the draft type franchise, but at the same time, I can't help but think Lombardi focuses too much of his energies on the back end on defense and in net, creating these massive log jams. Having an embarrassment of riches isn't a bad thing by any stretch of the imagination, but one problem with having a back log of prospects at one position is a lot of them get lost in the shuffle, as you suggest, and their value certainly doesn't appreciate at the rate they would had they made the NHL and established themselves. At the same time, the Kings always seem to be looking for offensive help, especially on the wings. I can't help but think that had Lombardi spread out some of his higher picks on forwards. Like Forbort before Tarasenko.
I think we were all hoping that one of the defensemen in Manchester could have been the cornerstone in the Richards deal instead of it being Schenn.

However, with so many NHL teams lacking fairly inexpensive competent young defensemen to fill their 5-6 needs, Lombardi still has plenty of poker chips if he finds the right kind of winger to trade for and gave up a package that includes one of our young AHL defensemen or Martinez, or maybe even Greene.

It's going to be interesting to watch the continued development of Loktionov, Toffoli, Vey, etc. because the forward positions are starting to work their way up on the Kings prospect rankings chart.

Overall the Kings' scouts have done an outstanding job over the last 4 years especially.

KINGS17 is online now   Reply With Quote