View Single Post
Old
07-15-2011, 04:36 PM
Brad Doty
¯\_(ツ)_/¯Until April

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch 19 View Post
That about sums it up. Like several have said, Hickey may make the NHL - but he may not make it with the Kings.

THAT should be later round picks, not a #4 overall.

Many hockey "experts" had Hickey to be drafted in the 2nd round or later - that is proving to be correct.

The Hickey pick at #4 is easily DL's biggest failure as GM - geez Hickey may have even been available in the 2nd round.
The first round of that draft is pretty miserable, though. I definitely wanted either Alzner or Voracek (I remember my buddy and I looking at each other, going "WHO?!?", and immediately pounding a beer), but I still think Hickey could be the best among them. I just think, due to injuries and his physical development, he's going to be more of a project than intended. I still think he's going to be a top-4 d-man in the NHL--it's just going to take some time.

In retrospect, it's easy to say that's DL's biggest failure, but keep in mind the cupboards were pretty bare at the time. I also doubt Hickey would have been available in the 2nd round, seeing as (reportedly, of course) DL allegedly tried to trade down but changed his mind as someone else (Boston?) had Hickey in their sights.

But don't get me wrong...I'm not mad at anyone here who sees it the other way. I just feel like Hickey is being sold a bit short.

Brad Doty is offline   Reply With Quote