View Single Post
Old
07-15-2011, 03:53 PM
exwhaler

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
The McPhee Squeeze. What a pain in the ass he must be to deal with. Alzner just didnt have the resume for the big payday all us diehard fans were ready to pay him and were capgeekily projecting for him. His agent said, lets fight this fight another day, soon. Tail between his legs. George having little cap room may have helped him have leverage since Alzner wanted to be here.

I wonder what numbers Alzner's agent was thinking. I cant help but think he was eyeballing Sarge like numbers.
From Capitals Insider:

Quote:
“Without arbitration rights, what you spend time negotiating is the value of the second year and that’s where we had the gap,” Barry said in a telephone interview Friday.

Barry explained that the team initially cited comparables in a $1.2 million to $1.4 million range for the second year while he sought something in a higher range closer to $1.9 million to $2 million. They ultimately agreed to $1.75 million for the second year, which was combined with the qualifying offer of $826,895 and then spread out over the duration of the deal, Barry said.

“Our valuation of 1.75 puts him in the higher range of guys who have his experience and play those minutes as a shutdown defensemen, so I’m pleased with that,” Barry said. “At the same time, we’re fully aware that we think Karl has an excellent future and if he continues on this path he’ll be in a whole different class” when this contract expires.
On a side note, Schultz's contract bought out his RFA years, which always will raise the price of any deal. Thus, it probably wasn't used as a comparable.

exwhaler is offline   Reply With Quote