View Single Post
Old
07-15-2011, 11:38 PM
Knight of the Realm
champs no more!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheru View Post
Alzner is benefiting from being Carlson's partner. DL didn't deny his talent at all -- if you go back to the draft interviews, you see him acknowledge it. He thought Alzner was closer to making the NHL at a younger age. Hickey had something else (and this was before the injuries, too),

I think where we differ is the label of "bust." Hickey will need to wind up not having an NHL career, by my definition. You think the pick should have been used on someone else. I sympathize, but to me, that's a different issue.

Hickey and Alzner had no control over where they were drafted. I think this is anger at DL more than the player, yet it manifests itself in criticism of the draft pick.

Let Hickey be Hickey, and see what comes of it. And realize that we drafted a lot of players in the same time period, so the franchise's success isn't riding on any one kid. Drafts are like that.
My definition of a bust is being drafted at #4 and not playing a game or becoming a significant part of the Kings team. He may go on to another team and have a decent career or he could turn some heads this year. Is Hickey a bust in the sense that he may never play in the NHL? No, probably not. I do think he is a bust in the sense that Purcell, Boyle, and Tukonen were for the Kings. I hope he can prove me wrong.

Knight of the Realm is offline   Reply With Quote