Thread: Thomas Hickey
View Single Post
Old
07-15-2011, 11:57 PM
KingLB

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vino View Post
Actually it was the last season (2010-11) several 2007 1st round draftees broke into the league.

2007 NHL Entry Draft
1st round, drafted dmens

#5 Karl Alzner played last season 82 NHL games
# 10 Keaton Ellerby 54 NHL games
# 12 Ryan McDonagh 40 NHL games
# 14 Kevin Shattenkirk 72 NHL games
# 15 Alex Plante 3 NHL games
# 18 Ian Cole 26 NHL games
#23 Jonathon Blum 23 NHL games

#4 Thomas Hickey no NHL-games
#27 Brendan Smith no NHL-games
#28 Nick Petrecki no NHL-games
#30 Nick Ross no NHL-games

And Brendan Smith had an excellent season in the AHL and is a lot, really a LOT, better prospect than Hickey.

There was also some 2nd and 3rd rounders, whose played in the NHL last season like Montreal's P.K. Subban and Yannick Weber.

I don't understand why people think that Hickey is a good prospect. A smallish injuryprone dman, who can't produce points and he is definitely not a physical force.

Injuries? Jake Muzzin had also some injuries and now 5th rounder Muzzin >>> 1st rounder Hickey. Muzzin = a potential two-way dman, Hickey = no-way dman, a career AHLer.
Meh....the 07 draft, basically screwed every rebuilding team except for the Hawks. Compared to basically every year since then you'd be beyond pissed if Hickey was your pick. That year honestly it doesn't hurt much. As for the Alzner pick....absolute waste imo, players with little to no offensive upside or "character guys" with third line upside have no place in the top5-10 most not even the first round. I would never touch a player like L. Schenn/Alzner/Teuburt/Maclarth and Upshall/Chipchura in the high first round. Give me a risky Russian any day of the week over an average NHL player.

And comparing to Muzzin is misleading. Muzzin was a top pick going into juniors and had back/injury problems that lead to him missing much time and falling in the draft and then not getting signed.

KingLB is offline   Reply With Quote