View Single Post
Old
09-20-2005, 09:39 AM
sensens

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Senator
Re: Havlat. I don't think they'll overload the 1st PP that much. They have to have something left over for the second unit. If it's Havlat-Spezza-Heatley-Alfredsson-Redden on the 1st, who goes on the 2nd? Not to mention, who stands in front of the net?
One of the things that I like about what Murray has said so far is that he seems to like his special teams players to be already familiar with playing together on 5-on-5 lines, at least where possible. That would seem to suggest that Havlat-Smolinski will form the core of the 2nd unit with someone filling in for Alfredsson's RW slot. Spezza, Heatley & Alfredsson have more than enough puck-moving ability for a top PP unit, and giving Havlat some free reign against the league's second PK units could well be the most productive use of his skills given the current projected lines.

What I really love about that philosophy of Murray's is the implication that the top-2 lines are more concentrated on their focus of being offensively dangerous 5-on-5... i.e. we're essentially playing PP lines out there at even strength to try to force the issue offensively. When a team has the luxury of that kind of depth of skill, I heartily agree that this is the right approach even in the "old NHL"... I think the new rule changes make this almost a no-brainer.