View Single Post
Old
07-18-2011, 11:02 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emma Royd View Post
This "The answer is no!" mentality is hardly unique to our fans. Go to any team board on this site and you'll find the same. Everyone loves their own prospects.
Exactly. Plus, Rangers fans seem to have this underlying sense of panic when it comes to trading prospects, as if everyone we trade away will come back to haunt us in the long run. This has always been the organization that dealt youth for experience or star power, so now that we're stock piling a pretty solid group of youngsters, people are afraid of letting that slip away and falling back into the "dark ages" of the Sather regime.

I suppose the way Smith mortgaged the future for playoff experience back in 1994 could rub a few folks the wrong way as well, but I never subscribed to that all that much.

On top of all of that, you take a kid like Kreider and the kind of potential he has, and it's not hard to be protective of him. A 6'3" 220lb specimen with blazing speed and a laser of a shot is something many scouts would drool over. The question has always been whether or not he can elevate his level of play to be a NHL scoring forward. What I think you see with Chris is that he's a classic example of a player who plays up to the ability of the people on the ice. The higher the level of play, the more you see what the hype is about.

That being said, I've never been a fan of BC and how they develop players. They churn out top-notch collegiate players, but not very many kids who will excel at the next level. I don't think Kreider is going to be dealt before the Rangers can see what he brings at the next level, but he's going to have to fast-track his development when he turns pro. If there was ever a kid who needed to make a splash as a pro, it's him.

I don't necessarily see him as a 70 point player as many are expecting. I see him as a Cy Young forward who spends most of his career between 50 and 60 points, but 60% of them are goals. I'd be over the moon with that kind of result.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote