View Single Post
Old
07-18-2011, 12:01 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
yeah, i never considered MDZ to be the trainwreck in his own zone that other ppl did. hes nowhere near as good as Staal, Girardi, Sauer, or McDonagh...but I think we're kind of spoiled here with the ridiculous level of young talented defensive defenseman we have on this roster.

To me MDZ had 3 issues. 1, he tries to do way too much out there. He tries to thread those needles far too often and opposing teams were just waiting for it to happen out there and were picking off his passes. secondly i dont think his skating was up to par. ive been saying this since his rookie season, hes not a good skating defenseman, and thats a kiss of death in the NHL, especially if you want to be joining the rush. Finally i dont think he shoots the puck hard enough to be a true offensive defenseman.

It seems to me he's trying to address the first 2, which are very good things. He calmed down as the season went on, and frankly i thought he played fairly well before he was sent down to Hartford. He's working out with Underhill, which is also a very good thing. What he's doing to get his shot up to par? im not sure.

Again, doesnt have to be a canon, but it needs to at least be enough of a threat to draw the defense up to you so they can't just collapse down low and block everything and then transition back up.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote