View Single Post
Old
07-18-2011, 04:40 PM
Ola

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
I was re-watching early Ranger games from this past season, and Del Zotto's defensive deficiencies were excessively overstated -- I also find it odd that some fans feel he doesn't even have to ability to defend. One game in particular stood out to me; the game in Toronto where Anisimov/Fedotenko scored very quickly apart. That was also Biron's first game as a Ranger. Del Zotto made several exceptional reads on net-front passes and down low plays. He ended up with 6 blocks in the game, as well.

He's a smart player -- his mistakes come from over-anticipating plays and nervous mistakes. He has the ability to be a more than adequate defensive player; the only question mark is his mental game.

I think he can make the team this year. If they lower his responsibilities, and pair him with a steady defensive player (aka NOT Matt Gilroy), all the better. He played his best last season when paired with Girardi/Rozsival. His game really came off the rails when he was put with Eminger/Gilroy. He's not a player that's going to carry his pairing in the defensive end; but, he won't end up dragging it down if he's playing to his ability, either.
I always thought his biggest weakness was not to have the ability to cover for our numerous breakdowns in our transition game...

...in other words, he did his parts but others did not. In the end, that took a toll on him in terms of confidence and when that happends, a kid should be held back.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote