Thread: Vinny Prospal
View Single Post
Old
07-19-2011, 06:50 AM
TheGrapesOfMcIlrath
Gooey

vCash: 500
Absolutely no downside to signing Prospal to another 1-year deal. People are going to cite his knee injury, but I really don't see the point. He came back last season and scored 23 points in 29 games coming off that injury. If anything, his knee should be stronger with an offseason of rehab and conditioning. Even if he can't stay healthy, he goes on IR and we get his cap space back anyway.

Vinny is a versatile guy. He can play on the top line with Richards and Gaborik, or he can sit in the pressbox and get some rest. He's a great lockerroom guy from all acounts, and his passion for the game can't help but make me smile. It's written all over his face when he's on the ice: the man loves it here. He was made for Broadway.

I would much rather see EC, Wolski, or Avery sitting in the pressbox than not offer Vinny a contract. Once Dubinsky and Callahan are signed, they should offer Prospal a contract using some of the leftover cap space. At this point, I don't really think he's going to sign with anyone else. He should sign for cheap, maybe a $1-1.5M contract with some small incentives that work within the cap, IMO.

TheGrapesOfMcIlrath is offline   Reply With Quote