View Single Post
Old
07-19-2011, 12:55 PM
Nails Jenkins

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post

A lot of fans knew that Souray, Tanguay, Kovalev, etc should be traded at the deadline. I knew, it was the obvious thing to do.

Look at the Philadelphia GM. He sees a sinking ship, so one year after the cup finals he trades away his two stars for a boatload of picks and young studs.

As for 2007-08, we were the number one team in the Eastern Conference. Price was a young guy in a stressful position and had a nervous breakdown against Philadelphia. We were scoring goals, but his save percentage that series was under .900, as such winning was inconceivable.
While I will concede that I would have liked Souray traded at the deadline, I can also see why it would have been difficulty to do so considering we were in a playoff race. Regardless, I'll grant you that one. On the other hand, I don't think anyone considered trading Tanguay or Kovalev at the deadline that year. In fact, I think Gainey would have been assassinated if he had done so. To move 2 of our top 4 forwards while we hold a playoff position in the centennial season? There's no way to justify that.

Quote:
READ.

I gave the philly analogy for the case of the end of the 2009 season. We should have traded Kovalev, Komisarek, Koivu, Tanguay, Schneider for that matter for young players and picks. That we would have gotten less than philly got is irrelevant, as we would have gotten more than we ended up getting. The worst case scenario is a half-dozen 2nd rounders.
Absolutely not, in fact we would not have gotten a second rounder for ANY of those assets at the end of the season. Besides the disparity between the calibre of the 5 players you listed and the two that Philly shipped out, those guys were all UFAs, who have next to no trade value (see James Wisniewski- who is in fact younger and more valuable than any of the players above). Philly traded two franchise type players who are locked into longterm deals. Those are assets that will net you a return.

Quote:
You would have kept Rivet over Gorges and Pacioretty?

Interesting.
This wasn't even directed at me, but you are taking context out of the equation. Generally speaking it isn't a good idea to sell your vets (even UFAs) at the deadline while you're making a playoff push, but Rivet had been a healthy scratch that season and had stormed out on the club on one occasion that he was scratched. He was not in our top 6, not in our long term plans and quickly becoming a distraction - this is why that particular veteran UFA was moved.

Nails Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote