View Single Post
Old
07-19-2011, 06:55 PM
Zip15

vCash: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kassian View Post
Okay, now we'll really need to make a a trade.

Hopefully he's really ready to go though. Playing hurt would only hurt the team.
Not sure we do need to make a trade. Sekera's deal brings us to at or around $61.4m. If that Swedish article was accurate, and Enroth is only looking for $700k, that's doable, and it'd bring us to around $62.1m. Allotting $600k for Grags (on a one-way) brings us to $62.7m. Assuming Ellis is our 13th forward, we'd be done at or around $63.25m, leaving us with just over $1m in cap space.

And, as I said in the Ellis/Sekera thread, signing Ellis is a shrewd move, because they can demote him with little to no fear of a waiver claim when they want to promote one of the better, more expensive prospects. Then they'd only be paying slightly more than they would've been paying Ellis, rather than paying both Ellis and the prospect. Smart guys Black, Pegula, and Regier. Also, wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see them carrying 12 forwards when healthy and both teams are at home. If there's a last minute injury/illness, you have someone drive down I-90, or you play seven defensemen and 11 forwards--Tampa did this a bunch last year--and use Grags as your PPQB.

The only time this will become an issue is at the trade deadline. But Regier is used to dollar-in-dollar-out trades from the Golisano Era. If you gave Regier truth serum, I wouldn't be shocked if the plan is to get Adam a tad more seasoning in Rochester, call him up to Buffalo around Christmas, and trade out Boyes at the deadline if Adam shows he belongs in the NHL (and move either Gerbe or Vanek to RW), and bring in a $3m-$4m rental.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote