View Single Post
Old
07-20-2011, 11:16 AM
BigG44

vCash: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued View Post
Larsson signs an ELC without any performance bonuses. As a result, he, as a 4th overall pick, will have a lower cap hit than JC (11th), Fowler (12th), Gormley (13th), Hishon (17th), and Watson (18th) from last year. Pretty strange.
I think a reasonable player/agent would have no problem forgoing the $2 million B bonuses because they truly are so difficult to earn. Although, Larsson is the type of prospect that has the ability to hit them. I think it's rare for a player to hit it all 3 years of a contract. In most cases, they are never earned, and they just serve as a major cap inflator which is an issue when bonuses count 100% against the cap regardless of being earned (like this season). IMO, it's admirable Larsson would not take this bonus and screw up the Devils cap situation.

The shocking part of the contract to me is the lack of A bonuses. Those are relatively easy to earn, especially for a player of Larsson's caliber. I can't think of an example of a Top5 pick not getting the max A bonus in their contract. He basically just walked away from nearly $2.55 million in realistic bonuses over 3 years. My only guess is NJ told him you're not making the NHL next season with a $1.775 million cap hit.