View Single Post
Old
07-21-2011, 10:43 AM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
I've never tried it with an SE16 personally, but yeah, often if you cut a so called "one piece" right at the fuse point, then chisel out the left over tenon (can literally take like an hour on some sticks!), you have a tapered shaft that will fit tapered blades. If you're not sure if the opening is the right size, just bring your converted shaft to your LHS and compare the opening to the size of the tenons on the tapered blades (try to find ones without much glue near the end to compare easily/properly). If it's a bang on fit, great, if the opening looks just a touch wide, that's OK too as you can shim with a layer of tape (only if it's close to a good fit already though), but if the opening is too small or way too big then just pop a standard blade in the other end. Flipping it over will mess with the kick point a bit, won't perform quite as well as it would if you can fit a tapered blade in the end that's supposed to be the bottom, but if the fit isn't good on the real bottom then flipping is your only choice, and the performance will generally still be OK.
If it's too narrow, cut up the shaft half inch by half inch until it's the right size. Actually, you can do that from the get go if you're willing to accept a little bit shorter of a shaft, and save the hassle of chiseling out. You'll still get a nice tight fit. I have a mess of former OPS as tapered shafts sitting around the the basement, mostly easton, from my dad's old broken sticks. Of course, I haven't broken a stick in ages and he just buys a new OPS if his break, so they just sit there....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitbtw View Post
I'd prefer not to go Easton bc of blade jazzier I've had and other have had as well.
The ST does not have that issue. It's made for durability, while the synergys and stealths are made for performance. The blades on those are built for great feel, and sacrifice durability. The ST (Super Tough) blades are built to take a beating at the expense of feel.

Basically, the ST is the original synergy, and I still see one or two of those things around on occasion. It's a tough stick that performs pretty well, and is still ridiculously common in the NHL because of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
just be sure that it's a real SE16 and not a painted something something. Check the sticker inside the shaft or on the outside
As long as it's not a stealth, it'll work. And the stealths will be painted as such.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote