Thread: Protector?
View Single Post
Old
07-21-2011, 03:54 PM
habsjunkie2*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Ya, I'm pretty sure Lucic isn't scared to go in the corners to battle with Gionta.
But that's not what I, or anybody else for that matter, should care about. I care about our team, as a whole, not how strong individual players are or how well they can fight. We have a guy that will drop the gloves. I don't care if he loses his fights like Kosto did, it sends a message that we are united and we will stick up for each other. That's all I care about. Sure would be great to have some big guys that can fight so we can pound some Bruins in, but that's being emotional, not rational. You're putting focus on physical beating some opponent. I really don't care about this.
When push comes to shove, we can take care of ourselves. I don't mind if Gill bear hugs everybody, I don't care if we lose every single fight we get into, I care about winning.
You mention that we had players like Komi, Bouillon, Begin, Kosto, etc.. before which made things easier for us. But didn't Komi get jumped from behind by Lucic in 08-09? Remember that game?? Again, the Bruins gooned it up. It wasn't as bad as beating a Pyatt with an elbow pad of Thornton fighting Hammer, but still they gooned it up. They ended up losing that game which made us clinch for the POs. We were battered with injuries and got swept in the POs, but still, it just goes to show, what matters is winning.
Last year, during that ridiculous game, people forget it was 8-6. It was 6-5 before they scored midway in the 3rd after a penalty call on DD. They decided to goon it up at the end.
The following game, we win 4-1. Chara took MaxPac's head off, but like I said, everybody here agrees those cheap shots are not preventable.
So tell me, we certainly didn't back down after getting bullied. We bounced back by winning 4-1, that's all I'll put my focus on.
Trying to justify the importance of a protector is ridiculous. It has very little barring on the game, a minimal impact at best. It's just fans that are simply sick of seeing the Habs lose physical fights that try to argue the importance of it.

Could we benefit from having a big tough guy?? Sure. I'm sure plenty of people, if not everybody, would welcome this addition.
Could his impact be as big as to influence the outcome of our season, or even just a few games?? I don't think so.
Maybe one game, just like Picard getting a GWG, it could happen to everybody. But chances are he'll hold very little impact.
You don't think a 5 foot 8 inch forward going into the corners against a 6 foot 3 200+ lb dman should be something we should worry about? You don't think that the 5 foot 8 guy might be a little timid himself and play a poorer game if all the guys on his line are the same? You don't think Moen and White could play their role a little better if they had a heavyweight looking to back up their aggressive play, of course they would. Moen has looked like gunk for that reason, he is constantly looking over his shoulder for the opposing teams heavyweight.

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote