Thread: News Article: Matt Carle article
View Single Post
Old
07-21-2011, 07:17 PM
Flyerfan808

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
I've never seen such a polarizing figure like Matt Carle amongst Flyer fans. There's no middle ground with Carle - people either like him or hate him. Personally, I feel for Carle because he was a guy who came out of college and should have been someone who played a full year in the AHL. He performed admirably in his first season, but then for some unexplained reason, Ron Wilson just threw him under a bus and ruined him. He gets dealt to Tampa Bay and at the time, it was the Oren Koules/Len Barrie gong show there. Finally, Carle gets dealt to Philadelphia where there is a bit of structure and balance (and more important, some veteran mentors for him) and he gets crucified here by the fans.

Is he a superior defender? No, not at all. However, I think his defense has come a long way from when he first got here. I think having Laviolette and Kevin McCarthy work with him has been a blessing for his career. I still think this upcoming year is the year he puts it all together. With him and Coburn being up for contract renewal, I think Carle realizes just how important this year is to him. I'm expecting a monster year from Carle and there's no reason to believe he can't deliver.
If I had to choose sides I'd say that I like Carle, because I know what he is: a good top 4 PMD, not stellar defensively, but not nearly as bad as some people would like to believe.

I'm curious, in your opinion what constitutes a "monster year" from Matt Carle?

Flyerfan808 is offline   Reply With Quote