View Single Post
Old
07-21-2011, 11:54 PM
BourqueBourqueBork

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
People assume he doesn't want to play here long term because of the Strickland rumor.
Two very key words in that sentence.

I'm not saying I know what's going on inside Shea's head...but to me it seems like panic among the fans.

He hasn't signed yet. Why?

Yes, it could be that he has had a change of heart about playing here long term, and he now considers what his prospects are with other teams.

It could be that [his agent] and Poile have agreed about the term of the contract, but just not the dollar amount.

It could be that they have agreed on the dollar amount, but Shea wants a short term deal, and Poile is only willing to entertain a long term deal.

Or it could be some other factor. We truly do not know at this point...and there remains the possibility that we'll never find out.

There are a lot of ifs that we simply don't know about or don't understand from a fan's perspective. I simply don't trust the media to feed me information on how the negotiations are going. The media, and especially twitter's track record is questionable at best. I don't really care how reputable a "sports journalist" is, all I care about is the ink on the contract...so either way, I know by August 2nd that we'll have a better idea on what the future for Shea Weber is in Nashville. I think speculation is pretty much pointless for the next week and a half, as I doubt anything will be done until either right before the hearing, or until after the hearing itself.

I'll withhold judgment on our captain until that point. I feel it is wrong to assume things when we don't have all of the facts. Again, a one year arbitration deal is not necessarily a sign that Weber does not want to be here, but merely that he is not satisfied with the current contract offer. For all we know, Poile & Co. could be low balling him. Let's face it, Weber is a professional athlete, and if many of us were in his shoes, we would demand fair compensation for what we believe we are worth. Home town discounts are lovely, but they aren't necessarily the norm, even to players that like where they are playing.