View Single Post
07-22-2011, 11:45 PM
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by Pez68 View Post
If you're shooting a good, hard wrist shot, you should end up standing on one leg as the puck is released. If you shoot right, you should end up on your left leg. If you shoot left, end up on your right leg. I have a feeling you're just not torquing enough when you shoot, or you'd be dead tired after just 100 shots.
Well, I usually shoot from the off-foot and in-stride. I can do it as you describe, but I prefer doing it from the off-foot, even when I don't move. (That's starting and ending on my right leg as a right side shooter.) I just kick my other leg while I do this... it's somewhat synchronized with the shooting arm so that you keep balanced. Everyone learns to shoot sideways first and that's the basic - I did so at first. But it's rare you get the occasion to shoot as you ask. Here, you can see Semin doing a little toe drag and shooting from the off-foot:

The idea is you don't actually need all that much hip rotation to actually generate good speed as Sasha showed here.

I mean, if you look and compare when the guy's sideways or facing the net, it doesn't seem to change much a thing - it's still blazing fast. He can do it NHL pace, I can do it amateur pace... So, no, you don't need to land on the other leg, no more than you need to be sideways.
As, for your questions, I will tell you it's hard to explain. There's a sense of burning feeling that is almost desirable - that's a muscle tiring effect exactly like when you lift weights or try and run for miles during the same day... it burns, but that's a nice burn.

Usually, you'll feel this where the contraction occurred. So, for wrist shots, you might feel several muscles burning after a while; it could be your abdominal muscles, but not your hips; your quadriceps, but not your knees; your forearm, but not your wrist.

There's always a big movement implied in speeding the puck when you release the flexing tension and that's when you turn your hand over at the end of the movement. That's called a pronation. The pronator is attached at the elbow on the anterior part of your forearm (that's the same side as that of your palm) and if you repeat the wrist shot often, you might feel pain there. I would say it's a very bad idea to do that when you are pained because this precise forearm motion use in the wrist shot (which the tennis serve, overhead and forehand follow-through share with) may lead to a condition called lateral epicondylitis (tennis elbow)... that's not funny to have and it's one example of many health issues.

So, the medical advice is to stop your movement when you feel pain in your joints. If you feel burning in your muscles, it means they are working out; if you feel pain in your joints, it means there's something wrong! Best way to prevent all of these problems is to warm up slowly and the best way to warm up is by doing what you will be doing: that is, dynamic movements. Don't do passive stretches before a dynamic activity as it will lessen your tensile strength and power while not necessarily preventing injuries. Hence, to warm up, do little movements with the different parts of your body you will use.

Last edited by Sharpshooter101: 07-23-2011 at 12:00 AM.
Sharpshooter101 is offline   Reply With Quote