View Single Post
Old
07-23-2011, 11:46 AM
Sharpshooter101
Rookie User

vCash: 500
2;4;2;2;5;1;4;3;3;5;2;3;3
I scored 2 on polishing my ego and 4.14 on focusing at the task.

Now, I disagree with the idea that ego is important in the way the people above put it. and I will actually give you a short lesson - I suggest you to read because you finally find a philosophy lesson which has real, human, and practical applications!

Existentialism is the philosophy of existence. It's subjective and that means things revolve around the thinker. However, you have to understand what it means: it doesn't mean that you re-invent reality or that the world is as you conceive - an existentialist will not say that beauty lies in the eyes of beholder; he would rather say that beauty is understood inwardly. To grasp this idea, you need to reset your linking arrow between thinker and objects: instead of asking "what" and existentialist bothers about "how": it's how do you relate to a given thing and not so much what to which you relate. My disagreement here is based unto an idea Kierkegaard proposed. He said: "Whether I can grasp God objectively, I do not believe, but precisely because I cannot know, I must believe." Now, go beyond the religious influence here and understand the reasoning behind it because he doesn't try to prove or justify his beliefs: it's not about the what, it's about the how. He says that in spite of knowledge and in awareness of the lack thereof, one has no other choice but to believe.

The point he makes disagrees with your statement about ego. What he says is that you must commit in awareness of not knowing, not that you must be convinced of knowing - the commitment is to choose a path without knowing because you cannot do otherwise.
The conclusion is that you must commit yourself to a path without knowing where it will lead and, if you ever read Nietzsche or Kierkegaard, you will soon understand they suggest you to do so out passion, out of Will.

Now, the hundred bucks question: what's useful in this?
1-The first one is that it reconciles you with your choices. Now, when you doubt a choice, you can stop putting energy at clearing this doubt: just accept your doubt and rather put energy at figuring how you relate to the options and choose the one which you want to associate yourself with.
2-The second thing is that now, you find a way to live as an individual without forgetting other people around you.
3-The third thing is that arguing with someone will no longer be a contest of who is right, no more than a pointless discussion of two people always agreeing; it will be an exchange of ideas from which you can grow.
4-The fourth one is that you no longer have to stick to rules someone told you... whether you hold religious, cultural or secular beliefs about morality, you can always decide to change your mind.

But, my favorite one: passion and reason are united - be that self you truly are, as Nietzsche said; be someone, make that someone, live as that someone!

Last edited by Sharpshooter101: 07-23-2011 at 12:33 PM.
Sharpshooter101 is offline   Reply With Quote