Terriers

vCash: 8400
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
Philadelphia selects D Jim Dorey

2x WHA Champion
1x WHA 2nd Team All Star
8th in entire WHA in Assists(72-73)
2x Top 3 PIM in NHL(2, 3)
2x Top 12 Goals Among Defensemen, NHL(8, 14)
2x Top 18 Points Among Defensemen, NHL(14, 18)

TOI/Game Ranks for Leafs:

2nd in 68-69(behind Horton, ahead of Ley, M. Pronovost, Pilote)
5th in 69-70(behind Horton, Ley, McKenny, and undrafted)
3rd in 70-71(behind Ley and Baun, ahead of McKenny)
3rd in 71-72(behind Baun and McKenny, ahead of Ley)

Points Rankings On Team Among Defensemen(68-69 to 76-77): 2, 3*, 2, 2, 1, 1, 5**&1**, 1, 1

*-Tied for 2nd in PPG
**-Traded mid-season, 1st in PPG for both teams
All non-1sts were behind: Tim Horton, Jim McKenny

Quote:
Dorey was picked up from Toronto, where the aggressive rearguard made some impressions with his rugged play over 4 NHL seasons. None other than the legendary Tim Horton had predicted big things for Dorey, which was one reason the Rangers acquired him in exchange for Pierre Jarry.

In 4 seasons in the National Hockey League, Dorey, nicknamed Flipper because of his tendency to flip the puck high over the heads of everyone in order to clear the zone, was known as a big lumbering defenseman who took many penalties. In fact in his rookie season he established a then-record 48 penalty minutes in one game en route to a 200 PIM season!

The WHA featured a much weaker collection of defensemen, which allowed Dorey to develop into more than just a physical spare part. He was named to the post season all star team in 1973, his first season in the Association, after scoring 7 goals and 63 points in 75 games. He also led all WHA scorers in assists in the playoffs with 16 in 15 games. Same goes for his 41 penalty minutes.

The following season Dorey played in 77 games with 6 goals and 46 points.

The Whalers moved Dorey back to the city where his major league career started part way through the 1974-75 season. The Whalers sent him to the Toronto Toros in order to complete an earlier transaction that saw New England acquire Wayne Carleton.

Dorey continued to play well with the Toros. He finished the year with a career high 16 goals plus 40 assists for 56 points and up that total in 1975-76 to 60 points based on 9 goals and 51 assists.

The Quebec Nordiques acquired the veteran for the 1976--77 season. He had a good first year in the provincial capital, scoring 13 goals and 47 points. However the following two years would not be as kind to Dorey. Injuries limited him to just 58 games in total, and just 1 goal and 12 points.

But Dorey, described as an undisputed leader with a knack of annoying fans while on the road by Zander Hollander, won't be remembered for that. Instead he'll be remembered for his rock hard style of defense and his fine seasons in the World Hockey Association. He scored 52 times and added 232 helpers for 284 points in 431 WHA games, while adding 617 well earned PIMs. In the NHL he had 25 goals and 99 points in 232 games in addition to 553 minutes in the box.
http://mapleleafslegends.blogspot.co...jim-dorey.html

Quote:
Now Jim Dorey is hitting and the Leafs are in the fight. It may be as simple as that. A 6'1", 192-pounder with a caveman physique, a cherubic face and a shock of brown hair that gives him a misleading look of innocence, Dorey is the new bad man of the NHL. Early in the season though it is, he has been involved in two bench-clearing brawls, several smaller fights and some heavy shoving—and the Leafs, brasher and braver than they have been in years, seem to be responding. "In one month Dorey has already solved a few problems around here," says Imlach, "and before he's through he's going to solve a few more."

Most rookies come to the NHL with a touch of awe and respect, but not Dorey. His most notable bout took place in what was only his second big-league game. Pittsburgh's Ken Schinkel was speeding past Dorey along the boards when he happened to catch a stick on his shoulder pad. Schinkel skated another 15 feet before sprawling to the ice. Given two minutes for high-sticking by Referee Art Skov, Dorey was skating to the penalty box when he noticed that Schinkel was smiling. "That was when I realized he'd taken a dive," Dorey recalls. "I went over and said, 'You took a dive, didn't you?' He said, 'Sure, what are you gonna do about it?' That was when I hit him in the mouth."

"He's an alley fighter, and they're usually the best kind," says Minnesota General Manager Wren Blair, who signed Dorey to his first amateur agreement at age 14. "But he's also a helluva defenseman. When I first saw Dorey I thought he could be in the same league as Bobby Orr, and you can't get any higher."

"Dorey can do a lot more things than fight," says Imlach. "Right now he's a little hotheaded and exuberant. He's trying to make a name for himself, which is fine. But he can become one of the big stars in this league. He can skate and he can shoot pretty well, too. I'll tell you this: if anybody's going to lead us back where we were, this kid will."

But Dorey needs no such invitation to battle. During a memorable exhibition game he came stickless off the bench into a melee to toss a couple of right-hand punches at Detroit's Frank Mahovlich. He skated back to the bench unmarked and unpenalized, but not unappreciated.

"He's back, grinning like hell," said Imlach, "and I go down and tell him he can get in a helluva lot of trouble leaving the bench like that."

"Yeah, Punch," Dorey said, "I know it. But it was worth it."

Imlach had found his cop.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vau...32/2/index.htm

Quote:
Known for his rugged, yet clean style of play, Jim Dorey enjoyed a lengthy professional hockey career, primarily based on a solid work ethic. He was a fourth-round draft selection of the Toronto Maple Leafs, 23rd overall in 1964 when he was just 17 years old. Dorey had appeared in 21 games that year with the Niagara Falls Flyers of the Ontario League. His final two years of junior were spent with the London Nationals where he scored 25 and 49 points, respectively. Dorey also increased his physical play significantly, drawing 196 minutes in penalties in his final season.

Dorey is probably best remembered for his days patrolling the defense for the Toronto Maple Leafs in the late 1960s and early 1970s at a time when other Leafs players included Dave Keon, Norm Ullman, Ron Ellis, Paul Henderson, and Jacques Plante. Dorey played four full seasons with the Leafs and took it upon himself to handle a good portion of the team's policing duties, registering 200 minutes in penalties in the 1968-69 season and 198 minutes in the 1970-71 campaign.
http://www.legendsofhockey.net/Legen...p?player=12479

Quote:
Dorey was a main cog on the New England Whaler blueline for their first two-and-a-half seasons of existence, 1972-1974. He led New England defensemen in scoring in both 1972-73 (7-56-63 in 75 GP), when he captured an AVCO Cup with the Whalers and was a Second-Team WHA All-Star selection, and 1973-74 (6-40-46 in 77 GP). Dorey was traded by the Whalers to the Toronto Toros in December of 1974 and would remain in the WHA with the rest of its existence, through the 1978-79 season. He won another AVCO Cup in 1976-77, with the Quebec Nordiques, and would finish his WHA career with 431 games-played, 52 goals and 232 assists for 284 points, and 617 penalty minutes.
http://www.oursportscentral.com/serv...es/?id=4140569

Quote:
Defenseman Jim Dorey is the rookie with the can't-miss tag this year in the NHL.

He's tabbed for everything from Rookie-of-the-Year honors to all star defenseman, but coach Punch Imlach of Toronto Maple Leafs is a little more reticent.

He concedes Dorey is an asset where the Leafs need it most-on defence, but says only that the big, rugged 21 year old is "good enough" to play with the Leafs.

At training camp, Imlach was a little more glowing. "I would have to say he's the best looking defenceman in camp. If he doesn't make it, a few people will know about it. He means business."

With the NHL well under way, it looks as if Dorey has made it. He's established himself as fast, nimble, and not afraid of anyone, and has already set a single game record of 48 penalty minutes in a night.

Dorey, six foot one and 195 pounds likes to crunch bodies and fight. He skates almost like a forward and handles the puck well. Some coaches around the league have called him another Bobby Orr.

Dorey likes to dismiss the "quick with the fists" tag, but it is evident he enjoys a scrap.

"I'm not a runner," he says. "I don't go out trying to drive some guy into the boards. But, I do like it when it is rough-the rougher the better. The rougher it is the better I play.
http://news.google.com/newspapers?id...im+dorey&hl=en

Quote:
The New York Rangers have acquired rugged defenseman Jim Dorey from the Toronto Maple Leafs in exchange for xxx, the young and dissatisfied forward who last season led the Central Hockey League in scoring.

In Dorey, the Rangers get an aggressive player who likes to hit and who still holds the NHL record for most penalties(9) and most penalty minutes(48) in a game.

Quote:
He is Jim Dorey, a young, aggressive, muscular defenseman who figured prominently into the club's long term plans.

Quote:
From that moment on, Leafs' defence has been a purposeful unit. xxx and Rick Ley and especially Jim Dorey, who is Baun's partner, have improved visibly.

Quote:
He indicated the new man on defense would he Jim Dorey, who would give the Rangers muscle in front of the net,
http://www.google.com/search?q=jim+d...w=1280&bih=861

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote