View Single Post
Old
07-24-2011, 12:57 AM
ColonialsHockey10

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okposofan21 View Post
They played in two different leagues and Nino played in 11 less games. I think the difference in skill between the two players is fairly large but that is just me. Our 6th round pick in 2008 had back to back 90 + seasons in the OHL and the kid will probably be no better than an emergency call up.
It's not like were comparing the KHL and the SEL, they're both junior leagues and they're the exact same level of competition. The "WHL is more defense oriented" argument holds no weight here, as Portland scored 30 goals more then Oshawa this season. Nino also played on a dominant team alongside Johansen, Ross, Rattie and many more. Nino's stats prorate to still be 15 points less then Thomas.

The difference in skill level is not large, at all. Nino has an NHL body and brings good two way play. If Christian Thomas were 6'2" he'd be a much better prospect then Nino.

As for the comparison to DiBenedetto, Justin was drafted a year later then everyone his age, and failed to improve his overage season in the OHL. Boone Jenner, and Andy Andreoff are no Steve Stamkos as well. The only thing holding Thomas back is his size. He has great speed, the best shot in the OHL, and is a great stickhandler. He is also very solid for his size, added with his shiftiness and it really shouldn't effect him as a pro. What keeps a lot of dominant junior players from being NHL players is some combination of size and skating (see Corey Locke), and Thomas is a very good skater.

Remember I said Nino is the better prospect, no question, but Thomas is no doubt a blue chipper as well at this point in time.

Last edited by ColonialsHockey10: 07-24-2011 at 01:23 AM.
ColonialsHockey10 is offline   Reply With Quote