View Single Post
Old
07-24-2011, 04:29 AM
flapanthersfan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules View Post
Salak could have backed Markstrom up or been loaned to another ahl club. The Panthers thought it would be best for his development to play in Europe. Salak said the Panthers wanted him to play there.
then what do you do with plante? send him to the ECHL?

salak is european. sending him to europe was the only choice they had, neither plante nor salak would develop any playing in the ECHL all year, it would be a gigantic step backwards. my point is - they didn't send him to europe because he couldn't hack it - and insinuating that is just ridiculous and you know it.

Quote:
It takes many years for a goalie to hone his technique. Salak is already 25 or whatever he is so he's behind the eight ball big time in that regard. And then add more years to get used to north american hockey coming from europe. Its not a matter of when he gets the technical stuff down, its more like if. Salak was signed before Chicago traded Campbell to free up cap space. Im not saying their cap issue was the only reason they comitted to him as the backup, but it certainly could have expedited his path to the nhl.
he's had alot of success at the pro level with what you think is a "raw" technical game (and it's not nearly as bad as you make it out to be). if he can't refine his game, he'll be a good backup. if he does - we made a terrible trade.

and they traded for salak and instantly signed him to a one-way, TWO YEAR deal. them committing to salak had nothing to do with salary. they just think he's good enough and has upside, plain and simple. i agree with them, and i think eventually he's going to be the reason that trade was a mistake, not frolik.

flapanthersfan is offline   Reply With Quote