View Single Post
Old
07-24-2011, 01:43 PM
MoonlightGraham

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBarker View Post
George Gillet and Pierre Boivin did it with the Habs. They were not in an as bad position financially but the team was crap in the end of the 90s. It's crazy how a serious and hard working staff can flip a team's performance, success, popularity and value.
The two are not even close to being comparable. For the Canadiens the team was here, the new arena was built and the team had the richest history of all hockey. The only thing was the team had good but not great attendance.

With baseball you would have to find suitable land, build a stadium, accept MLB to let you move a team back to Canada, buy the team and sell all the tickets and luxury boxes from scratch. You're looking at a billion dollar plus investment, and a team failed and moved away not 10 years ago. It would be a huge gamble.

As I said before no one wants the Expos to come back someday more than me, but I'm not kidding myself. It's not happening, barring major changes in the economy and culture of Quebec and the United States. And now you have the Impact MLS team starting next year, with the growing popularity of soccer the MLS is probably going to be a major success in the coming years and decades, so that's going to make it even more unlikely for baseball to come back.

MoonlightGraham is offline   Reply With Quote