Thread: Prospect Info: Jets 2011 Top-20 Prospects #1
View Single Post
Old
07-24-2011, 03:40 PM
surixon

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jet228 View Post
I addressed my error in the term 'exact' in my response to surixon.

The question was best prospect. I put a lot of weight on the likelyhood of a player being an NHL'er in considering who the best prospect is. Machacek is, in my opinion, the prospect most likely at this point to be a meaningful NHL'er. There are a lot of question marks with Sheifele. I disagree with your assertion that no one would take Machacek over Sheifele.

Let's say we were prospecting for gold. Machacek would be a nugget of gold that is just below the surface. You can see it, and easily mine it. Sheifele is a potential bar of gold buried even deeper. You may never be able to unearth him but if you did, it would be a bigger score.

Some prospectors would gamble and go for the bar, knowing they may never mine that gold, and some would go for the sure thing.

It is the way we are looking at prospects that is different. I am not trying to tell you that your way is wrong, but you are trying to tell me I am. That's the difference here.

Either way, I think I will just stay off these threads, as I know how passionate the prospect crew on HF is.
I can understand the point your trying to get across but I disagree with the player your using to try to prove it. I really disagree with your assesment of Machacek, the guy is now entering his 4th year as a pro and has a massive 12 games of NHL experience. By all accounts he also performed rather poorly in his stint last year. This to me doesn't scream a player who is the most likely to make an impact in the NHL as you put it. Im not trying to say he wont amount to a solid contribitor at the NHL level but imo time is now starting to run out for him in this organization. He is at a point where he is at risk of being further passed on the depth chart by players coming up behind him. He really needs to make the jump this year and show that he has a future on this team, something he has yet to prove.

surixon is offline   Reply With Quote