View Single Post
Old
07-24-2011, 06:33 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
I dunno, RE, Niemi was picked 3rd, traded for a 6th (I grant you that the Isles had to move him - but if he were THAT good, don't you think someone would've been willing to offer at least a 5th?) and I don't remember most of the regular Pack watchers being that impressed with him. I hope I'm wrong, but that doesn't really stand out to me.

Meanwhile, Ceresnak is certainly a wild card, but he's the kind of wild card I like - played in an absolutely abysmal environment to really stand out, but showed enough to some scouts that the Rangers traded to pick him and Peterborough drafted him 4th overall in the import draft. He's a high risk, diamond in the rough type. In a year's time, I fully expect him to either be up 10 spots in our rankings or in Tysen Dowzak territory. At this stage, the upside portion of that equation is enough to get my vote.

Look, I'm not saying Niemi is a great prospect, but we are talking about our last-naked prospect here. We aren't talking about guys like McDonagh or even Kundratek here. But as a solid AHLer, he's already ahead of where most 6th rounders will ever wind up.

Ceresnak did play in a tough environment, but since he didn't play at all after the draft, his value should still be that of a 6th rounder, which means he should be projected as an ECHLer or marginal player in Europe.

I just went over the 2002 draft (chosen at random) and most of the players are playing in the ECHL, CHL, the second league in Sweden, Austria, Finland, VHL (Russia's league below the KHL), England. There were 2 NHLers and 2 borderline NHLers. Another half a dozen were solid players in the AHL, KHL or SEL. The rest were in the crappy leagues or marginal players in the AHL/KHL/SEL.

A guy who can establish himself as a solid AHLer is already ahead of the average 6th rounder. Doing so at the age of 20 is a real accomplishment.

Beacon is online now   Reply With Quote