View Single Post
Old
09-23-2005, 11:02 AM
Jester

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyQuil
Part of what makes the OTT-TOR rivalry a bit of a zoo is the coverage and attention it receives, particularly in Ottawa, and then coverage in Toronto about the coverage in Ottawa.

You have things like:
-an Ottawa sports reporter making comments about Domi hitting his wife, and justly getting fired for it
-an Ottawa city councillor attempting to "ban" Leafs jerseys in the Corel Centre (trying to be "cool" for the voters, gawd!)
-the inevitable bets between mayors, provincial premiers (from Ottawa, works in Toronto)
media coverage a rivarly does not make...

Flyers/Devils games have carried massive weight each and every time for the past 10 years... something that hasn't been true until relatively recent up there. it also has moments like when a friend of mine got to game 7 of the ECF in 2000 and had the usher tell him to be careful, they'd had an "incident" involving a devils fan in that section the night before.

not cracking on the battle of ontario, i'm just saying, "there's a lot of media coverage" means very little to me. players knowing that a top 3 seed is on the line every time two teams meet for 10 years means a ton for a rivalry.