View Single Post
Old
07-25-2011, 01:31 AM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Ulf Dahlen, W

- 301-354-655 points (287-350-637 adjusted points) in 966 games

- Represented Sweden in every best-on-best tournament of his career (1992 Canada Cap, 1996 World Cup, 1998 and 2002 Olympics)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Pelletier
Ulf Dahlen was quietly one of the more intelligent players of his generation. He had a number of good skills but every bit as important he really understood the intricacies of the game.
His game was not based on speed. In fact he was an unusual though deceptive skater. In stead he used great balance and core body strength to protect the puck with his body expertly. He was extremely effective down low and in the corners and on the boards. He would then drive to the net or find an open man with a strong pass. In a different era he would have been the perfect fit to compliment the Sedin Twins.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sports Illustrated
Ulf Dahlen of the Washington Capitals falls into the category of being a dependable two-way veteran forward.
SI's 2002 Olympic Preview

Boardwork:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toronto Sun
I was pulled out of my seat by Crosby's power skating demo, but what impressed me the most was Crosby's ability to keep his balance while controlling the puck and cutting on his edges at high speeds in close quarters.

To me it was mainly due to the fine art of performing the 10 and 2.

The 10 and 2, for those of you who don't know, is the ability to set your feet in time as you skate. The left foot is positioned at the 10 o'clock hour of your pocket watch and your right foot is set at the 2 o'clock hour of your grandfather clock.

Actually , it doesn't matter what kind of clock you use, 10 and 2 is a term that NHL players have used for years to describe a player's footwork.

The 10 and 2 has been around for quite some time. Ulf Dahlen, a big power forward who scored more than 300 goals in 900-plus NHL games, was the pioneer of the 10 and 2. He used to go to it quite often behind the net, but only at about half the speed of Crosby.
-April 17, 2010 http://www.torontosun.com/sports/hoc.../13626366.html (via VanIslander)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharks fan bio
He was amazing along the boards and almost seemed to skate sideways at times behind the net. A master at controlling the puck Dahlen was able to hold the puck in the zone long enough to set up many goals he never got points for, if only there was a third assist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan comment
Ulf was the first Shark player in my mind that made a career out of fighting for the puck on the boards.
http://my.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?us...7&post_id=3106

Ulf Dahlen Teaches young players how to win board battles:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyplayer.com
When Ulf Dahlen goes into the corner for a loose puck, he always seems to come out with it. Considered one of the top puck-protection men in the league, Dahlen says the main reason for his success is that he is comfortable playing the puck with his skates.
Also, going to the corner often means taking a hit, which is something else Dahlen feels he can use to his advantage. After a player throws a hit, it takes him a moment to regroup. Dahlen uses that split second to get better control of the puck or make a pass.
Once he’s taken the hit and won the puck with his feet, Dahlen’s next task is either to make a pass or drive to the net.
Dahlen says one of the things he always does in the corner is buy time, letting the rest of his team gain the zone and set up. This delaying is even more important on the power play, so he urges players not to feel rushed in the corner.

And again, if a defenseman wants to put the body on you during the power play, it’s to your advantage. A four-on-three is better than a five on four, and if someone leaves the penalty-killing formation to hit you, that’s what you’re left with.

“The perfect thing is to get someone to hit you,” says Dahlen.
http://www.hockeyplayer.com/paid/pub...icle_173.shtml

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Vogel, Capitals Official Site
Dahlen is a marvel to watch as he plies his trade on the ice. He’s big and strong and is one of the best in the league at battling in the corners and along the boards.
It’s amazing how much physical punishment Dahlen can take in the high traffic areas without coughing up the puck, going down to the ice or retaliating. He is one of the league’s most gentlemanly players. In nearly 800 NHL games, he has taken only 202 minutes worth of penalties – none this season. On the other hand, he is constantly frustrating opponents into taking penalties. Dahlen and his linemates are capable of cycling the puck for the better part of a shift and tired defenders do desperate things.
http://capitals.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=42562

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Vogel
During the early part of Halpern’s career, he centered a line that included veteran wingers Steve Konowalchuk and Ulf Dahlen. For a few seasons in the early part of the previous decade, that combination formed one of the league’s top shutdown trios. Halpern and his linemates held the opposition’s top trios in check by forcing them to play in their own end of the rink.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Halpern
I remember Ulf Dahlen [showing me] when a guy is pinning a puck along the boards, how to separate the player from the puck. I think Ulfie was one of the best I’ve seen at that.
http://dumpnchase.com/?p=868

Powerplay net presence:

Ulf was consistently a very good PP scorer for a long time:

- 120 career PP goals (91st All-Time and close to the top among MLD players)

- 11+ PP goals 5 times.

- He was also famous for holding the puck along the boards behind the net, drawing defensemen to him, on the powerplay (see above).

Last edited by TheDevilMadeMe: 07-25-2011 at 02:19 AM.
TheDevilMadeMe is offline   Reply With Quote