View Single Post
Old
07-25-2011, 04:57 AM
Black Tank

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
We're at the point where you don't plug in youth just for the sake of plugging in youth. I'm all for a guy like Hagelin making the team, but if we could've gotten Vinny for cheaper (wouldn't have wanted him for the price CBJ got him) and Hagelin couldn't beat him out, you have the better player and a good presence for the rest of the youth on our team. Vinny's a good player and by all accounts a very good man, so he's the kind of guy you want in the locker room and on the ice.
I have to disagree - we're exactly at the point that we plug in youth for the sake of plugging in youth. Because this means that that the organization is rich and deep enough that there is an influx of capable rookies year after year. This must come at the expense of a player like Prospal who is coming off knee injuries and is 36. He may beat out a guy like Hagelin in training camp, but what is that worth over the course of a season vs. developing a rookie? What if Stepan had lost out to Todd White in camp and had spent the year in HFD? In this example, White would be gone this year and you would still have Stepan completely untested at the NHL level. That would be a tremendous loss to the organization.

I don't think we're in absolute win-now mode and if we by some miracle are in that position in March, then let's trade for a rental vet, but let's use the long season to give ice time to the players who are expected to contribute for years.