vCash: 500
Orest Kindrachuk, C

Position: Centre
HT/WT: 5'10", 175 lbs
Shoots: Left
Nickname(s): "O"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Pelletier
Orest Kindrachuk was one of the more underrated players in the National Hockey League during the 1970's.
- 2-time Stanley Cup Champion (1974, 1975)
- 1 Top-10 in Shorthanded Goals
- 118 goals, 379 regular season points in 508 games played.
- 20 goals, 40 playoff points in 76 games played.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatest Hockey Legends
The Philadelphia Flyers did a little more homework than the rest of the league, and were rewarded when they eventually signed him as a free agent in July, 1971. They were impressed with Orest's stellar junior career with the Saskatoon Blades (WCJHL) where he scored 263 points in 164 games. He led the league in assists (100) his last year there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orest Kindrachuk
I was playing in the commercial league when I started thinking that I could always go back to school. Chronologically, I would not always be young and in top shape to play hockey so I decided to give it a try. Eventually, the Flyers invited me to their training camp. What is crazy is that if I would have played my draft year I might have been selected fairly high then I may never had the opportunity to play for the Flyers and be on a Stanley Cup-winning team. Things really fell into place for me. Call it destiny.
Quote:
By 1973-74 Kindrachuk was given a promotion to the National Hockey League. The timing couldn't have been better, as Orest would spend his first two NHL seasons as a Stanley Cup champion.

Orest played an unspectacular role on the Flyers but was a very important part of their team when they won the Cup in 1974 and 1975. He was not the fastest skater around but he was a tenacious checker who was strong on both ends of the ice. A strong penalty killer, he was mostly a center but occasionally played as a left wing.

His coach in Philadelphia, Fred Shero, liked him a lot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Shero
He was the kind of player you wanted out there in the tough situations because he had both the brains and guts
Quote:
Kindrachuk's most regular linemates were tough guys Dave "Hammer" Schultz and Don "Big Bird" Saleski.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orest Kindrachuk
A lot of times when we would go on the road our line would have to play against our opponent’s top line. The three of us were plus players. We could keep up with anybody. We were actually a very good line
Quote:
Orest's best season in the NHL came during the 1975-76 season when he had 75 points including 26 goals, this despite playing on the 3rd line. He played some very solid hockey in Philadelphia even though he was bothered by a chronic back ailment for much of his career.

Orest was eventually traded to Pittsburgh together with Tom Bladon and Ross Lonsberry for Pittsburgh's 1st round draft choice in 1978. He was immediately named the Penguins captain in training camp and held that position for his entire stay in Pittsburgh.

He had a very fine first season in Steel City, scoring 60 points. Unfortunately he ran into a hip point injury problem in the 1979-80 season, but still managed to score a respectable 46 points in 52 games.

Orest was definitely one of the unsung heroes of the 1970's who never got the headlines but who always did a very fine job. He scored a total of 379 pts in 508 games as well as 40 points in 76 games.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legends of Hockey
A solid playmaking centre who could play defence and kill penalties, Orest Kindrachuk played over 500 games for three different NHL teams. He topped the 30-assist mark five times in his career and was dangerous on the powerplay and while shorthanded.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legends of Hockey
As a rookie in 1973-74 he scored 41 points as the third centre behind Bobby Clarke and Rick MacLeish. The youngster was solid in the playoffs and helped the Flyers become the first expansion team to win the Stanley Cup. In 1974-75 he missed 20 games due to an injury but was a solid checker in playoffs as Philly repeated as Stanley Cup champions.

By 1975-76, Kindrachuk assumed a more prominent role. In addition to checking and killing penalties, he provided offence and was used as a playmaker on the power play. He set career highs of 26 goals and 75 points then returned to more of a checking role in next two years. During this period he occupied one of the safest places in hockey as the pivot for tough wingers Don Saleski and Dave Schultz.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windsor Star, April 10th, 1974
Orest Kindrachuk is not concerned with what professional hockey scouts thought of him three years ago when he graduated from the junior ranks. He's in the National Hockey League now and Philadelphia Flyers are the benefactors. Kindrachuk, known primarily for his checking ability and aggressive play, scored two goals as the Flyers downed the visiting Flames 4-1 in the opener of their best-of-seven quarterfinal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Shero
He has moves and toughness, as long as he plays thus well, no one is going to take his job.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philadelphia Flyers Encyclopedia
Kindrachuk was a strong part of the "Broad Street Bullies" chemistry. In a situation similar to teammate Don Saleski, he eventually made the welcomed change from a brawler to a penalty killer and he could provide needed offense, too. Kindrachuk's gutsy play earned an assist on Bill Clement's 1975 Stanley Cup insurance goal, and "O" gave the Flyers more offensive depth in 1975-76 as his goal and point totals doubled those of the previous season. The work ethic and attitude of the heroes that provided the fans of the hard-working Philadelphia Flyers with consecutive Stanley Cup Championships will not be forgotten, and Orest Kindrachuk is no exception.

Last edited by Velociraptor: 08-03-2012 at 11:47 PM.
Velociraptor is offline   Reply With Quote