View Single Post
Old
07-25-2011, 10:33 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by roseyc View Post
I understand that SOB is not the most gifted defenseman far from it and he played his role and I too was frustrated when he try to be offensive but I think he did it mostly to try to generate some offense on offensive challenged team. During the Duck series it was SOB who standing up for his teamates and clearing the net and taking the brunt of the punishment that the Ducks were trying to push us around. I remember one particular incident when Perry punched Sk and SOB immediately took up for and went after Perry which said your going to pay the price for picking on our soft little forward. Weber this year was nominated for the Norris and I think SOB was an influence and many of times I saw Weber and Suter talking with SOB during timeouts down the stretch and especially in the playoffs. This all being said I understand what I think the Preds are doing is that we can't afford to spend lots of money on role players when Weber is due lots of money and hopefully frees up money to get a top 6 forward. The thinking if it's one area this team can sacrifice where Trotz can excel at teaching young defenseman if you have to make sacrifices in order for other things to happen
I don't think money played much into the decision to let him walk. He only commanded a $1.1m contract from Colorado, and here we sit not even at the cap floor yet. Poile and/or Trotz must have decided what he brought to the team didn't outweigh the areas where he hurt the team. I could be a decision to costs us down the road, but I don't believe it will.

TMI is offline   Reply With Quote