Dreakmur

vCash: 500

Bert Marshall

Awards and Achievements:
2 x Stanley Cup Finalist (1966, 1975)

Style of Play:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legends of Hockey
Bert Marshall was a rugged stay-at-home defenceman who could also provide crisp outlet passes to his forwards. He played nearly 900 games for four different teams in the 1960s and '70s when his consistency was a useful part of the team.

The reliable defensive play and leadership provided by Marshall helped the Islanders develop into a competitive squad by the mid-'70s. He was a member of the team when it reached the semi-finals in 1975 and 1976. He helped the younger players like Bryan Trottier, Clark Gillies, and Mike Bossy learn to win and be professional .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatest Hockey Legends
Bert Marshall was no Bobby Orr or Paul Coffey. You didn't see Bert roaring down the ice unleashing 40 foot slapshots past the goalies. He wasn't the type of guy who made any headlines. All he did was to play effective, defensive hockey, blocking shots and being a leader in the dressing room. These were the main reasons why he lasted a total of 950 NHL games including the playoffs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorthanded: The Untold Story of the Seals
Bert Marshall was a hockey player’s hockey player. Perhaps the fans didn’t notice him a lot because he was not flashy. He didn’t make end to end rushes or score a lot of goals. But game in and game out, Marshall did his job: blocking shots and keeping the puck out of his own end.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
Bert was a rugged, stay-at-home defenceman who could also provide crisp outlet passes to his forwards.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Arbour
Bert means so, so much to our team from every vantage point. He knows the game in and out and he's the guy every player kinda looks up to. He's alert on and off the ice and he knows how to benefit from every situation that arises.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Howell
Bert made very few mistakes. He was a steady type. He covered for me when I made a mistake.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Hampson
He was one of the best shot blockers in the game. A defensive defenseman, you could always count on him to get the puck out of our end.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilles Meloches
He was solid in front of you. I think he blocked as many shots as I did.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Burns
He was a big, strong individual. He had limited skating skills, but he knew what to do with the puck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally Boyer
Bert was a funny guy and a good defenseman. He was hard to get around.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Baun
He had pretty good size and mobility and a good attitude.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Featherston
I learned a lot about being in the NHL, as a person, from Bert.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Worthy
Bert was a damn good defenseman; a tough guy with a good sense of humor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Shmyr
He was a steady defenseman. One-on-one, you couldn’t go around him. He was never caught up ice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Patrick
He was a leader, our captain, and a solid guy for us. He was not gifted offensively, but he knew the game well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt McKechnie
Bert was a veteran influence on the team and a real competitor. He would be blocking shots like it’s the seventh game of the Cup finals in overtime.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall Johnstone
One of the smartest players I have ever played with. He was first-class.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Leach
Bert was one of the older guys on the team, and he worked hard. He was one of the best shot-blockers I’ve ever seen. He had marks all over his body from blocking shots. He was very disgusted with us for not coming back to help out defensively.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted McAneeley
He was the most experienced player on the team and a stabilizing guy. He was a good defensive defenseman and the cornerstone and captain of the team.

Dreakmur is offline   Reply With Quote