View Single Post
Old
07-26-2011, 10:59 AM
m9

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
I disagree with this for 2 reasons...

1. Gillis has alluded to the fact he's looking for a 2nd line player and said he wants someone considered 'great'.

2. The way the Canucks distribute icetime makes it very important that the top 6 carry the offensive burden. With Malhotra playing the toughest minutes in the NHL among forwards and a 4th line centred by a checker in Lapierre it's up to the Sedins and Kesler to score a ton with the quality offensive minutes they get. With how strong of a player Kesler is the 2nd line didn't produce enough last year and though a lot of that can be attributed to Raymond and Samuelsson's health there will be the same issues next year with Raymond coming off the most serious injury of his professional career.

The only fan fabrication I see is the notion that the 2nd line wing addition will have to play a power game. As if a Martin St. Louis wouldn't be a much better acquisition than a Stewart, Backes, Morrow, Doan or the like...
Agree with all of this, 100%.

All things being equal, I would prefer a "power forward" type as the final top six addition, but its not a requirement. Burrows, Kesler, and Samuelsson are all gritty and fiesty players who will be in the top six this year.

m9 is offline   Reply With Quote