View Single Post
Old
07-26-2011, 03:32 PM
seventieslord

vCash: 500
Gawd, I just can't resist taking these defensemen here... with all this research BM67 has been doing, uncovering the next-best D-man in this draft has been as easy scoring on Cloutier in the playoffs.

I'm sure by the time this draft is done, yet another player will have been shown to have had a couple of good seasons that earned him all-star/norris consideration, and his stock will rise considerably (this is the third one that I am the beneficiary of, along with Armstrong and Portland, and TDMM/vecens have two - Evans and Buswell), and someone else can have him but:

Regina selects Rudolph "Bingo" Kampman, D. Without knowing the all-star voting, it looked like Kampman was just a hard-hitting Maple Leaf defenseman of the 1930s and 40s; a good AAA candidate (he went in the AA last year). But now that it can be shown that he finished 6th in all-star voting among defensemen in 1941 and 7th in 1942, he is clearly due for a rise. (He did earn two insignificant votes in 1940 as well to place 9th). Note that there was weighted voting and actually fewer voters in Toronto than in any other city!

Kampman's nickname Bingo was due to his hard-hitting style. His career was effectively ended by WW2 as he spent the 1943, 1944 and 1945 seasons playing for the Halifax Army, Orrawa Commandos, New Glasgow Bombers and Dartmouth RCAF. When he came back for the 1946 season at age 31, he found himself in the AHL.

He played for the Allan Cup in 1936 and 1937 before his NHL career began at age 23. In his five full NHL seasons, he had the two significant ones that I mentioned above, and capped it off with the 1942 Stanley Cup, won, of course, in thrilling comeback fashion. In 1943 he was a 1st team all-star in the NSDHL and in the 1949 PCHL as well, demonstrating that he still played at a high level in these lower leagues he went onto.

With a five-year career and proof that he was considered among the better defensemen in the league for a time, is Kampman any worse than Bill Barilko? Barilko was a stocky, big hitter, played just 4 full seasons, died young and was considered a very good player on the way up. He never made the AST. I look forward to the results being compiled for those years so we can see how close he even came to making it, if at all. (at this rate, BM67 might only be a week away!) Surely Kampman is not an ATD player but we all know Barilko goes far, far too early and they should not be 850 picks apart. I'm not 100% convinced there should be a gap at all, until there is some proof that Barilko was that highly regarded in his four years and not just after the fact because he scored a cup-winning OT goal and then disappeared.

seventieslord is offline   Reply With Quote