View Single Post
Old
07-27-2011, 04:17 PM
Maverick41

vCash: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanNuck View Post
..and here comes the german poster

i think hockey is maybe number two or three in germany, it depends on the region... in northern germany handball is easily more popular but coming to the southern regions and the west, i think hockey is number two... and yes there has been some financial trouble but i think they fixed it by now.

last season 2100000 people went to the DEL games, and 1440000 went to the handball elite league...

the problem is that we don't have that many rinks in the northern, and western part (don't know about the east tbh) so most of our prospects are from the south, as to mention kühnhackl and rieder, so most people rather send their kids to the football (soccer) training, or handball, or tennis or whatever, simply because it's way cheaper and the structures are given... I mean i have to drive almost an hour few times a week to hit the ice, so that's really a problem...

another thing to mention is the media coverage, if you're not paying for sky, you hardly ever hear something about the del, and international tournaments are covered by a b-level channel, but i think that the recent success of our national team might push hockey again... and in a country like germany there should easily be a market for two sports or even three.. not only for football
Basketball could become a serious contender for Hockey and Handball though. The success of Dirk Nowitzki and the efforts of Football powerhouse Bayern Munich could generate quite some interest in Germany. Other than that you're spot on.

Last edited by Maverick41: 07-27-2011 at 04:26 PM.
Maverick41 is offline   Reply With Quote