Thread: MLD 2011 Bios
View Single Post
Old
07-28-2011, 07:17 AM
Selfish Man
The Wrong Company

vCash: 500
With pick #221, the Pittsburgh Hornets select Mike Sillinger, C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehockeyguys.net]The name Mike Sillinger is not often used in the same breath as Wayne Gretzky or Mario Lemieux. He was not a great goal scorer like Gordie Howe or Phil Esposito and he was not a dynamic player like Bobby Orr, yet Mike Sillinger does hold two NHL records that none of these greats ever accomplished. Though they may not be legendary records, they are unique in that it will be tough to break either one. What are these NHL records? Most teams played for (12) and most times traded (9).

He made stops in an amazing twelve different cities, was property of thirteen teams and was traded more times than most players put in years played. Yet, the oddity of this is that it was not a matter of Sillinger not being wanted, it was just the opposite; everyone wanted him. He had developed into a very useful journeyman and a valuable component to any organizations playoff run.

The reality is, he was picked up by many of those teams to help round out their rosters, and many felt Sillinger to be the final piece. In most circles that would be considered an honor, and that is exactly how Mike Sillinger took it. He was extremely proud of his accomplishments and though the focus was on his team, somewhere in between, we lost the fact that he earned 548 points and played in 1049 games, something which many players of this generation would be hard pressed to accomplish.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE="espn.com
Sillinger's career accomplishments amount to a lot more than the answer to a trivia question. Now in his 17th season, he has tallied 226 goals and 300 assists. Considered one of the better two-way players in the league, he's been a reliable penalty killer throughout his career, also chipping in on the power play. Maybe most surprisingly, Sillinger seems to be peaking in his mid-30s. The NHL's new wide-open style of play has given the 5-foot-11, 195-pound center a chance to capitalize on his skating and puck-handling skills. Sillinger responded with a career-high 32 goals and 63 points in 2005-06, while playing for St. Louis and Nashville, earning him a three-year contract with the Islanders. He's in his second season with the Isles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Sillinger
I'd hear people talk about me, they'd say, "He's a great leader, a great teammate, a good player, why has he been traded so much?" I think it just becomes a case where the organization is looking to trade their No. 9 for your No. 9, you know? I was never breaking banks in terms of salary, so that also makes you a tradable asset. Then once I started to establish myself as a solid, two-way player who could play in different situations, on the power play, killing penalties, I just became one of those guys that teams seemed to trade for.
Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord
For one thing, he was an amazing faceoff man, one of the very best since the NHL began tracking when he was 27. He had a 57.5% average since then, not too far behind Joe Nieuwendyk's gold standard of 59.3%.

With 548 points, he definitely had a touch with the puck. And he killed 31% of his team's penalties along the way. His best offensive seasons came with the post-lockout NY Islanders, showing that he was the kind of guy who could be a "bad team scorer" or a "good team checking guy".For one thing, he was an amazing faceoff man, one of the very best since the NHL began tracking when he was 27. He had a 57.5% average since then, not too far behind Joe Nieuwendyk's gold standard of 59.3%.

With 548 points, he definitely had a touch with the puck. And he killed 31% of his team's penalties along the way. His best offensive seasons came with the post-lockout NY Islanders, showing that he was the kind of guy who could be a "bad team scorer" or a "good team checking guy".
The well-travelled Sillinger is a faceoff wiz who is accustomed to a bottom-6 role. Silly will center the Hornets 4th line.

Last edited by Selfish Man: 07-28-2011 at 07:25 AM.
Selfish Man is offline   Reply With Quote