Thread: Prospect Info: Jets 2011 Top-20 Prospects #4
View Single Post
Old
07-28-2011, 08:33 AM
Huffer

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerzy View Post
Gregoire, for all the same reasons I picked him in the last round.

My list currently stands at,

1. Scheifele
2. Gregoire
3. Klingberg
4. O'Dell
5. Cormier

I really like Eric O'Dell too. This kid is likely going to get overlooked, but I think he has the potential to be a top 6 forward in the NHL. When O'Dell entered the OHL with Sudbury (2007-2008), not the highest of scoring teams over the last few years, he put up very, very impressive numbers and demonstrated some very nice offensive tools. In his first 26 OHL games, he notched 14 goals and 32 points. Which turned out to be impressive enough to get him selected 39th overall by Anaheim. What is pretty amazing about that is he was just 9 picks shy of being a 1st round pick... and he played just 26 OHL games that year.

The next two years (2008-2009 and 2009-2010,) O'Dell continued impressive on mediocre Sudbury teams with back to back 30+ goal seasons and close to the 70 point mark.

Last season, his overage year in Sudbury was supposed to be his best yet, but missed time due to heart issues. He had a hole in his heart, something he was born with. He missed half the season last year but when he did return, he returned in great fashion potting 20 goals in 39 games and a total of 44 points.

I rememeber O'Dell coming to town last year. Only reason I do remember him was because he wore #91 and was the best player on the ice. Until looking the other day and seeing he was that guy wearing #91, I didn't know. I remember him to this day. Didn't know his name or much about him, but looking back I remember him. He was dominant.

In my opinion, O'Dell stands a good chance of becoming a top 6 forward at the NHL level, and if not that, a real good 3rd line forward. This kid has the tools, I have no doubt about that. I think he'll surprise.

O'Dell is a much more prolific offensive player than Cormier. And while I don't simply go by offense, it's interesting that these 2 are from the same 2008 draft class. O'Dell went 39th and Cormier went 45th.

I'm a firm believer Eric O'Dell is a fine prospect, and one thats high end potential is a top 6 forward, and if not that than a very good 3rd line forward.
Loved reading this, thanks Guerzy!

Huffer is offline   Reply With Quote