View Single Post
07-28-2011, 11:22 AM
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
Yandle had a good season, there's no doubt about that. I wouldn't call it great in an all-time sense, but it was good, and the TOI is a big part of showing that (much more than the "hockey card stats", IMO). The massive gap between his PP and SH time shows what type of player he still is, and that type of player has no real shot at the norris, but I have a feeling that will change, as he is a more than competent ES guy now.

No, playing the most ES time doesn't mean you were the best defensively... (look at Yandle, for example!) but it's a strong indication that your overall contributions were valued the most by the coaches. "Generally", it also means you weren't bad defensively, because if you are, your coaches will keep you away from the most dangerous opposition players, and it's literally impossible to both do that and give you a ton of ES minutes.

I'm curious, though, about "things that have nothing to do with hockey"... what do you mean?
Loyalty, justifying salary, etc.

I don't think it's common, but it has happened in the past.

As far as Dreak's assessment that overall TOI/G is more important.. I disagree. Yandle is a good example of a guy whose overall TOI/G would indicate that he's an elite all around defensemen, which is not the case.

jarek is offline   Reply With Quote