View Single Post
Old
07-28-2011, 08:14 PM
Bill_Meltzer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ORYX View Post
I agree with Zherdev to some degree in regards to the suffocation point. He is not a grinder or 3rd liner, he was signed as a top 6, did well in the preseason but still was expected to preform a role he has never played in his life.

When he got top 6 minutes he played well, when we complained about him, look where he was in the lineup. There were players in the top 6 that are better suited for a 3rd line role then Zherdev, while if given he opportunity Zherdev could build some chemistry with a line. He was used like a yo-yo back and forth between line mates and lines.

I don't expect an offensive player to preform well with the likes of Nodl, Carcillo, Shelley, etc as his linemates, nor do I expect him to all of a sudden change his game to play a role he CANT play.

Imagine asking Crosby or parise or Kovalchuk to play a defensive checking game on the third line, it's a waste of talent.
Thing is that the Flyers didn't really have a "third line" last year. They had three lines that were expected to provide offensive punch, and Zherdev spent plenty of time with Giroux and Carter as well as seeing time with Richards.

The year before, Ville Leino couldn't even get a sniff at the starting lineup after coming over from Detroit. But he kept his mouth shut, did what Laviolette wanted and took advantage of the opportunity when it finally presented itself.

Zherdev got second, third, fourth and fifth chances to stay in the lineup. Each and every time, he'd play like a man possessed for first couple games and then fall back into his old habits.

If he wants to see what went wrong in Philly, he should start by looking in the mirror.

Bill_Meltzer is offline   Reply With Quote