Thread: More to come?
View Single Post
Old
07-29-2011, 07:11 AM
Bauer Warrior*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandersFan17 View Post
The hardest part about this potential "big move," is who are the Islanders giving up. I mean the Kings traded away the top prospect in the world (in most peoples opinion) to get Mike Richards.

I like Richards, the guy brings to the table so much more beyond the stat sheet. However, color me crazy I wouldn't want to give up Nino and Comeau to obtain the guy (Comeau would be the Simmonds part of the deal).

I guess it could be because
1) I love our prospects.

2) If you do not learn from the past you are doomed to repeat it.

2A) I dont know about you folks I am tired of seeing former Islanders flourish everywhere else. I mean it was real fun watching Luongo and Chara duke it out for the cup

3) We have endured losing season after losing season. Invested a lot into the draft and the players we could obtain in the draft. From the Draft Day Party to the Prospect Games, we have an unheralded devotion to the future here.

3A) That same devotion that would want the Islanders to be the one doing the fleecing. We are tired of being bent over a barrel to make trades. If we move any of these young guys the return better be the sky.
I understand why Islander fans are tentative about trading prospects, but there's nothing wrong with trading a few for something that's going to improve your team by leaps and bounds. What has to be remember is that Milbury traded ALL of our prospects. If we cash a few in, it's ok.

Here's the run down:

1998 - Trades Tood Bertuzzi and Bryan McCabe
1998 - Trades J.P. Dumont
1998 - Burns a #1 pick on Mike Rupp (Never signs him, he re-enters draft in 2000)
1999 - Trades Bryan Berard
2000 - Trades Roberto Luongo, Eric Brewer, and Olli Jokinen
2001 - Trades Zdeno Chara, and affectively, rights to Jason Spezza

And this is what has to be realized. Mike Milbury, in te course of almost exactly three years, shipped off every prospect (except DiPietro) that we had. It's funny (ironic, not actually humorous) that he decided to keep the one that he did.

If we trade Bailey or Comeau or de Haan for a really good player, it cannot be confused with being a "Milbury move"

Bauer Warrior* is offline   Reply With Quote