View Single Post
Old
07-29-2011, 08:41 AM
Legionnaire11
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyClause View Post
I've enjoyed this discussion on hot goalies, and I guess I stated my position poorly. I think a goalie who is saving everything can win you games, series, Cups. What I should have stated is that I don't think Patrick Roy was "in the zone" and "seeing the puck better than normal" and "reacting sharper" in '93. I don't buy any of that.
I'm going to have to disagree with you. It does in fact happen that a goalie will get "into a zone" and "see the puck better". Similarly a skater can get into the same type of zone.

The human brain typically processes what your eyes are seeing at about up to 30 frames per second. But in high intensity situations (such as a car accident or a burning building) the brain kicks into overdrive and can process sight much faster like 60 frames per second or more, this is why you hear stories about people in intense situations who say it seemed like everything was in slow motion.

Now of course a hockey game is an intense setting, but when you're a professional and you do play this game every day it's not enough to speed up brain processing significantly (although it is still faster than your typical person in an everyday situation) But there are still times when a guy will completely get into a zone and take it to the next level.

So in fact the players do "see the puck better than normal".

on a side note, this is why a higher frame rate on a television makes the picture look smoother, because you are only able to see 30 frames per second, if the television was only showing 30fps then you would occasionally miss a frame (not really noticeable), but at 40, 50, 60, 70fps the chance for a missed frame is significantly reduced.

Legionnaire11 is offline   Reply With Quote