View Single Post
Old
07-29-2011, 11:34 AM
Top 6 Spaling

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
Not to say you're wrong here but remember Mason and his body language when giving up bad or soft goals for us? I have no idea what was going thru his head but it sure seemed like he was rattled and lost confidence in his ability. There are a few positions in sports where a player has to have a certain mental makeup to be successful. Goalie is one. Closer in baseball is one. Field goal kicker in football is another. I have seen many of these guys be successful for a season or two and then flounder after success. Was it them forgetting how to play and all of a sudden becoming bad? Maybe. Maybe they lost their fundamentals. Maybe something got in their head and if it did, wouldn't that mess with their confidence?

I understand what you're saying but I think confidence is a huge thing.
Confidence is a big thing, but I think you underestimate a few things. First off, goalies rebound from confidence loss very well. They may look really messed up at first, but most good goalies can shake of the goal in a matter of seconds.

Secondly, the reason goalies decline is often scouting. Other teams watch film, find weaknesses, and expose them. The goalie is not getting worse, the shooters are getting smarter. The goalie then has to change his style, and its a constant chess match. Which is how you see cases like Tim Thomas (Vezina, backup, Vezina).

Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote