View Single Post
Old
07-30-2011, 12:13 AM
mbhhofr

vCash: 500
Where do I start? I officiated for 35 years, minor hockey thru to the NHL. Last ten years, I wore a back brace because of disc problem. Separated a shoulder and never missed a game. Sprained an ankle, never missed a game. Caught a shot to my stomach, had internal bleeding, finished the game. Slashed with a stick to the side of my head, got bandaged up and went to the emergency room after the game and got 6 stitches. Caught a slap shot to my cheek that deflected off of my shoulder, early in overtime of a College game. Finished the game and the next day flew home holding an ice pack to my jaw. I had an x ray that afternoon and fortunately, no break. Got kicked in the thigh by a skate, while breaking up a fight, in a Jr. game. Got it tended to and finished the game and had a Pro game the next night, that I worked. Two game series in College, got a hip pointer during the first game and finished the game. Next night had a trainer fix me up and I worked the second game. Thank God for world class Trainers. I also had stomach ulcers for 34 of the 35 years that I officiated.

One game that I didn't finish was a Senior game in rural Manitoba. Got hit with a shot to my temple. A team Dr. checked me over and told me that I had a mild concussion. I asked him if I could go out and finish the game. He told me that I could but he wouldn't be responsible for my death. Two referee system and my partner finished the last period and a half by himself.

mbhhofr is offline   Reply With Quote