View Single Post
Old
07-30-2011, 01:50 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamitter View Post
I have no problems with giving Parise a Richards-esque contract. The only thing I'm worried about is that Stepan is going to surprise sooner rather than later and is going to want a big contract, too. If Parise is signed, we might have to make some tough decisions the year before Gaborik's contract is up. If McDonagh ends up as good as Staal, he's going to want to get paid, too. Frankly, these problems are easily solved if none of this happens until the year Gaborik's contract is up, but if Parise comes, I can't see any way we could hold onto Gaborik when his contract is up. Don't see any reason why we should, either, tbh. I feel like Thomas would be good enough for that role then, but I want to see how he does at the WJC before I pencil him into any NHL role. Kreider, I'm not too high on at this point, so I'm not too worried about any potential raises he might get. Curious how this season works out for him. Stepan, on the other hand, I think will command a big salary and soon.

If Stepan becomes a star worthy of a big time contract and McDonagh or Erixon become as good as Staal, don't worry about re-signing Gaborik. We won't need to pay tens of millions on a multi-year contract to an oft-injured and by that point aging veteran.

Also, Step, McD and Erixon won't be eligible for unrestricted free agency for years after Gabby's current contract is done.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote